Hits

Friday, December 6, 2013

Triple whammy for retiree (Forum letter)

ALL content used in this not-for-profit blog remain the property of their respective owners.
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/triple-whammy-retiree-20131206

I fully endorse Mr Geoffrey Kung's views and concerns ("Don't levy tax on vacant properties"; Tuesday).

Like Mr Kung, I am a retiree depending on rental income to survive.

I own a property that was vacant from May till last month. In that period, I was unable to find a tenant, despite reducing the rental and engaging the help of housing agents. The property is now being rented out at below the market rate.

Now, I have been informed that I will be charged higher property tax because the property's annual value has risen.

On top of that, from next year, there will no longer be a refund of property tax on vacant properties.

This is a triple whammy. Such measures are arbitrary and out of touch with market reality.

The rental market is very tight now. Are the tax authorities aware of this?

John Tan Chor-Yong

No comments:

Post a Comment