Hits

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lack of clarity in pay-TV contract

ALL content used in this not-for-profit blog remain the property of their respective owners.
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/lack-clarity-pay-tv-contract-20131214

I subscribed to SingTel's mio TV for its Barclays Premier League package when it won the broadcasting rights years ago.

Recently, I received a letter from SingTel informing me that I would be automatically converted to its Action Gold Pack plan after my current sports package contract ends. This means I would have to pay almost three times what I am paying now, and for content I am not interested in.

However, SingTel's terms and conditions stated: "After the minimum subscription period expires, the subscription to any content or channel(s) will automatically continue at the same subscription rates until the subscription is terminated by the customer."

I made several calls but SingTel's staff were unable to provide a satisfactory reply to my query.

A supervisor told me SingTel had the sole discretion to change the terms and conditions of my subscription. He referred me to a clause that stated: "All mio TV content provided to the customer is subject to change, removal, replacement or addition from time to time at SingNet's sole discretion. The customer may not request any changes to the content packs."

He added that this clause enabled SingTel to convert my current subscription to the new plan, despite the fact that there was no mention of the word "subscription" in the clause.

When I probed further, he explained that the word "content" included all references to subscription.

In short, what I was made to understand is that SingTel can change its terms and conditions as and when it likes.

Nicholas Aw

No comments:

Post a Comment