Hits

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Want your car back? Pay $10,000

What now? "Car-napping?"

Nearly two weeks after a car was stolen from a carpark in Kuala Lumpur, its Singaporean owner received a disturbing text message.

It read: "I know where your car is but I need money."


The message which James (not his real name) received on Feb 4 came from a man who claimed to be part of a carjacking syndicate.

Although he did not identify himself, the man claimed that the car had been stolen by members of his syndicate.

And he was willing to return it to James - in exchange for RM25,000 (S$10,400).

James, a 33-year-old logistics executive, told The New Paper: "I was angry when I lost my car, but now I don't know what to do. Should I pay up or negotiate further with the man?"

He requested that he remain anonymous for fear of reprisals by the car theft syndicate.

James last saw his silver Honda Civic Type R - which he bought four years ago for $96,000 - on Jan 24 at Petaling Street in the heart of KL's Chinatown.

James said he was gone from his car for only 15 minutes to run an errand. He returned to find that the vehicle had vanished from the carpark.

He made police reports in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, but said: "To be frank, I had given up any hope of my car being found."

An average of 150 vehicles are stolen a day in Malaysia and they are often cannibalised for their parts, which are sold abroad.

ORIGINAL SOURCE
Content used in this not-for-profit blog remain the property of their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment