Hits

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Asian Cup: Japan's Lee always believed he would be hero

'I kept talking to myself, saying 'I'll be a hero. I'll be a hero' before I went onto the pitch,' said a jubilant Tadanari Lee.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20110130/ST_18963088.jpg

The 25-year-old has only played twice for Japan and had never scored before, but he finished like a veteran in the 109th minute after the final against Australia finished deadlocked 0-0 in 90 minutes.

The dangerous Yuto Nagatomo raced down the left flank and found the unmarked forward in the box, and he executed his volley in spectacular fashion, smashing it past Mark Schwarzer to write his name in the history books.

'I feel super. I could not play for such a long time and I had to keep on waiting, believing that there would be a chance for me,' said the Sanfrecce Hiroshima player. 'I could score a goal in the end and I'm really happy.' Asked what it felt like sitting on the bench, he said he stayed positive and waited for his opportunity.

Although born in Japan, Tadanari is of Korean heritage and only gained Japanese citizenship in 2007.

ORIGINAL SOURCE

Disclaimer: Content used in this blog is courtesy of their respective owners

No comments:

Post a Comment