Hits

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Scammers copy Facebook profiles

ALL content used in this not-for-profit blog remain the property of their respective owners.
http://www.king5.com/news/get-jesse/Scammers-copy-Facebook-profiles-269131851.html

Shawn Filley is a soldier stationed at JBLM who has fought for his country in Afghanistan. But his new battle is with scammers on Facebook.

“It's a complete invasion,” said Filley. “They've taken pictures from my daughter, me and my wife, me and my wife and daughter.”

It started in the fall of last year when someone created dozens of profiles using Filley’s name or photos. Then they tried to hold Shawn’s profile hostage.

“He's using military pictures and claiming that he's in the army,” said Filley. “I contacted the guy and he actually contacted me back. He said that he would take everything down and get rid of all the pictures for 2,000 US dollars."

That didn't work so the thugs used a fake profile of Filley to try to con a woman out of her cash.

“I keep reporting it and they keep getting taken down and then within a couple of months they're back up. I've tried contacting Facebook and I don't get any answer.”

However, Facebook has now removed all the bogus profiles.

Filley is a soldier who is just looking for peace.

“I want Facebook to put a stop to this because I know it doesn't happen to just me. I know it probably happens to quite a few people out there,” he said.

Here's the deal. The best way to stop someone from stealing photos from your Facebook profile is to increase your privacy settings. You can limit who can see a picture or an entire album. You can also set it so you have to approve being tagged in a picture and can select who sees that picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment