Hits

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Soccer: Ballack and Pienaar annouce international retirement

ALL content used in this not-for-profit blog remain the property of their respective owners.

Ex-Germany captain Ballack retires
Ex-Germany captain Michael Ballack has retired from professional football, his manager Michael Becker confirmed on Tuesday, with the former Chelsea star currently without a club.

Having turned 36 at the end of last month, Ballack has been without a team after his two-year deal at Bayer Leverkusen expired in June.

Since leaving Leverkusen, Ballack had been reported to be negotiating with clubs in north America's MLS and Australia's A-League, but has decided to hang up his boots.

"At 36 years of age, I can look back on a long and wonderful time in professional football, which I could never have dreamed of as a child," he said in a statement.

"It was a privilege to have worked with world-class coaches and fantastic players.

"Of course, I will miss playing playing or scoring a goal in front of 80,000 fans, but the last few months without football have shown me that it is time to stop.

"I am looking forward to a new chapter in my life and thank my family and all the awesome people who have helped and supported me. They are all a big part of my success."

Pienaar quits international football
South Africa captain Steven Pienaar has retired from international football, to the disappointment of manager Gordon Igesund.

The Everton midfielder, 30, was not included in Igesund's 26-man squad for the forthcoming friendlies against Poland and Kenya after deciding to focus on his club career.

Pienaar, who turned 30 in March, admitted the toil of international travel had helped persuade him to call time on his South Africa career.

"After having given more than 10 years' service to the national team I am now at a stage where physically I am struggling to balance the demands of playing in England with the number of games required by South Africa," he said.

"I am proud to have represented and captained my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment